WHAT IS MAGE?
Youtube Demo + Talk video (COMING SOON)
MAGE stands for MAKE A GAME EXPERIENCE
The goal for MAGE is to make it as easy as possible for people to create their own 3D universes, adventures and stories. PLAY WHILE YOU CREATE!
MAGE is an open source sandbox game inspired by Minecraft, Infiniminer, and Platinum Arts Free 3D Game Maker with a focus on being a creative outlet and to make it easy for people to access and learn the different facets of Game Design such as Coding, Game Design, Level Design, 2D Art, 3D Modeling and Animation, Sound and Music, and even writing. MAGE is a learning tool along with being fun.
To make MAGE a reality a modified version of the Minetest Engine is used. Resources will be provided including tutorials and modifications to make it as accessible to people as possible.
MAGE is for Windows and Linux. An Android version is in development.
OUR STORY – I am a Computer Science Teacher with a background in Game Design. I’ve taught at both the College level and Grade school level and I love to create tools to make it more easy for them to design games and express their creativity. My students and also former students are helping with the project. Since they are loving it so much I wanted to share the software with the world 🙂
MAGE – MAKE A GAME EXPERIENCE – Main Features:
* Free and Open Source.
* Editing is done in game, including cooperatively over the Internet or LAN.
* Easy to use and modify
* Several different modes, including HouseAndCityBuilder and Survival
* The pursuit of making it as easy as possible for users to create and add features and content.
Why Should Schools Use MAGE?
* Users are free to express their creativity in creating 3D worlds, buildings, quests, characters, and more.
* Users can easily interface and learn about the different facets of Game Design including Coding, Level Design, etc.
* Lots of content already available such as animals, trees, characters, and objects that can easily placed.
* Many school subjects are covered such as Art, Math, English, Earth Science, Physics, CAD, Programming C++, etc.
* Teamwork is promoted through cooperative editing and map creation.
Why Should Designers Use MAGE?
* More user friendly and stable than typical game design software. Everything all level design is done in game, no compiling required.
* Being open source means full access to the engine code. The sky is the limit as far as new features that can be added. Most of the engine is in Lua so it is very easy to modify without having to compile.
* Lots of content and code already included to save time and effort on the creation process.
* Very supportive and friendly community.
* Powerful and easy to use Lua scripting language
* Many map tools to quickly and easily edit and create map geometry in game.
* Supports many popular model formats and models can easily be imported from Blender.
* Supports popular sound formats.
* Contains code project files for VS, and Linux.